The facts about Carpet Underlays
LEARN HOW THE RIGHT CARPET UNDERLAY CAN INCREASE THE LIFESPAN OF YOUR CARPET
A carpet underlay is never seen and not often thought about. However, it’s a product of high importance to your flooring outcome. So, it’s important to get the right advice for buying the best underlay to help protect and preserve your floors well into the future.
Why use a carpet underlay
While it may be hidden from view, choosing the right underlay is one of the most important flooring decisions a homeowner can make. A carpet underlay is a layer of cushioning that is laid underneath your carpet. It can be made from different materials, primarily recycled foam. However, just because it's out of sight, choosing a quality underlay should never be out of mind when it comes to the best flooring for your home.
We believe your family deserves the best, and we also know that choosing the best carpet underlay doesn't quite have the same appeal as choosing the perfect floor covering. A lot of time can be spent on choosing a new carpet, with decisions like types of carpet, colours and textures, but an important decision like selecting the right underlay can sometimes be overlooked.
Underlay comes in a range of types to suit different flooring and different rooms and traffic requirements. With benefits from thermal insulation properties to noise absorption, the right underlay will change your flooring for the better.
Flooring underlay can protect your carpet
The right underlay is an investment in the future of your new carpet and its durability. There are several reasons why an underlay is important:
- Support - The main reason for underlay is to support your carpet. A good carpet underlay will extend the longevity of your carpet by providing a layer of support that lets you get the most out of your carpet over its lifespan.
- Comfort - The other important reason to invest in good foam carpet underlay is the user experience - it adds a cushion pad feeling to hard flooring and even helps reduce noise transmission. Quite simply, your new carpet needs to feel as good as it possibly can when walking on it. With a good-quality underlay, the feel under your feet will be drastically improved.
- Protection - Properly installed, good quality carpet underlay will extend the life of your carpet, protecting your investment for longer and leaving your new carpet feeling soft under your feet.
Purpose of an Underlay
The purpose of underlay is to provide insulation, noise reduction, under-foot cushioning, and reduce wear on your flooring. Your new carpet or hard floors will look and feel better for longer with the correct, high quality underlay.
Choosing the perfect underlay to suit your needs
Different floor surfaces call for different types of underlay. The underlay needed for commercial flooring uses differs to what’s needed for domestic premises. What’s more, underlays are designed with varying ratings, strengths and criteria to meet the task for which they are intended. The good news is that choosing the perfect underlay is a breeze with the right advice. Have a chat to our expert team about your requirements.
Laminate Flooring and Carpet Underlay
Did you know that underlay isn’t just for carpets? It’s also recommended for use under laminate flooring and vinyl plank flooring. It is a thinner version of the type used under carpets but it’s very important. Here’s why:
- Moisture/vapour barrier - Laminate or vinyl flooring requires an underlay that has a vapour or moisture barrier built into the product to prevent moisture coming from the subfloor. This barrier slows moisture from moving through a wall or subfloor, so it’s particularly important when installing floors in areas prone to dampness or excess moisture, such as basements.
- Level surface - Underlay helps level the flooring in a slight (but important) way to achieve a smoother finished result.
- Padding - While only thin, the foam underlay cushions the laminate or vinyl planks, especially when laying over concrete, and ultimately increases under-foot comfort.
- Noise reduction - Another big reason why we recommend underlay is because it doubles as an acoustic underlay, reducing noise transmission.
Carpet Court can help you choose the right underlay for your needs
The team at Carpet Court are industry specialists in underlay for carpet and hard flooring. Which means that, if you have a question, we’ll have the answer or be able to find out for you.
Perhaps you are looking for an asthma and allergy friendly underlay solution like Dunlop Springtred. Or something Australian-made like Airstep. Maybe you need advice about the right underlay for uneven floors. Or you aren’t sure of extra requirements for commercial premises. Even if you’re just browsing for your wishlist, there is no better way to learn what’s on the market than to speak to our expert team about the right underlay for your needs.
Call or drop in to one of our stores to explain your requirements.
Best Carpet Underlays to use
Carpet Court sources the highest quality carpet underlays from the best manufacturers. Our suppliers have a long history of manufacturing and supplying the highest-grade underlays across Australia. They also support our environment in their commitment by striving to use recyclable material in their underlay.
Why use carpet underlays from Carpet Court?
No-one understands flooring products better than Carpet Court. When you choose your carpet and underlay from Carpet Court, you can be assured that the products we recommend are:
- Quality - Some of the best in the Australian market.
- Standards - Have been designed to meet all the required Australian quality and safety standards.
- Expertise - Made by experts. We work with manufacturers who understand that your carpet underlay needs to keep performing to a high standard for as long as possible so that your new carpet can, too.
Get inspired by projects from Inspire
If you’d like more inspiration for your flooring choices, visit our Inspire page to find out about the latest seasonal trends for carpet, hard flooring, blinds and rugs. Inspire features inspiration from the latest interior design gurus and helps you discover future trends, product inspiration, design concepts, and more.
Don’t miss the How To & Advice section to see tips on renovating a period home, and trends in colour play, euro retro, raw luxe, and more.
What do I need to know about installing a new carpet?
Consulting with your local Carpet Court flooring specialist is essential. We can give you the right advice before you start installation and let you know about things like:
- Joining carpets
- Using a gripper
- Pattern matching
- Doorway trims
- Staircase finishes
- Rubber underlays
- Underfloor heating options, and much more.
We can discuss the manufacturers’ recommendations on working with underlay with you so that you end up with the best result every time.
Finding the underlay you need in-store
Our Carpet Court centres are here to work with you to get the most out of your carpet underlay and most importantly, your new carpet. Our expert team talk about floors and flooring all day long, so who better to ask for advice?
You can find your nearest store today by using our store locator.