Carpet not only makes your home look and feel warm and inviting, it’s also a great long-term investment if you know how to take care of it properly.
With kids, pets and everyday activity, it’s highly likely your carpet is going to be subject to a few spills, splashes and splodges over its lifetime. But if you follow these few simple carpet cleaning tips and tricks, you can keep your carpet looking as good as new for years to come.
Spills & stains? Get blotting immediately.
If you do spill something, it’s important to take action before it penetrates into the carpet fibre. You should also test any cleaning treatment on an inconspicuous part of the carpet for any possible colour change.
- 1. Immediately scoop up solids or any large particles with a knife or a spoon.
- 2. Don’t allow spilt liquids (particularly hot liquids) to dry or cool, or the stain will be more difficult to remove.
- 3. Using an undyed sponge or blotting cloth, gently blot as much of the spill as you can, working from the edge of the stain towards the centre to avoid spreading.
- 4. Do not rub the pile during any stain removal or rinsing stages.
- 5. Once the stain has been removed, blot up moisture by applying pressure with white paper towels or tissues.
- 6. Do not walk on the carpet until it’s completely dry.
For great advice on how to deal with specific stains or spills, refer to Carpet Court’s comprehensive cleaning chart.
Time for a major carpet clean?
So you’ve vacuumed regularly, you’ve applied spot carpet cleaning to spills and stains, but still your carpet is not looking its best? Perhaps it’s faded, showing up grimy circles around chairs and furniture or horror of horrors, a little on the nose? That’s when it’s time to look at other cleaning options.
Steam cleaning your carpet
Steam cleaning is best left to a professional carpet cleaner and in general, you should plan to have this done every 12-18 months. Shampooing, do-it-yourself steam cleaning or dry cleaning is not recommended. .
Do’s and Don’t of carpet cleaning
- 1. Don’t be tempted to rub stains. Blotting is a stain’s best friend.
- 2. Do invest in a periodic professional deep clean from a reputable cleaning company ever 12-18 months to prolong the life of your carpet.
- 3. Do vacuum at least once a week and more often in heavy traffic areas.
Cleaning Your Carpet of Spills, Splashes, Splodges & Stains